Beyonce's haircut on Twitter

Beyoncé's short cut might just be the biggest news of all time. But what is the singer trying to say with her 'fierce' hairdo? Whoa indeed, Sara, whoa indeed. Truly, our grandchildren will one day crawl on to our laps and whisper, eyes open wide with elfin amazement: "Was it true you lived through the great Beyoncé haircut, grandmama/papa?" OMG WTF BFF, right? Beyoncé went and had a pixie cut, just as many other female celebrities have done before (Anne Hathaway, Kate Moss and Carey Mulligan, off the top of my head), but because this is Beyoncé this is even bigger news. Rather, according to Beyoncé's stylist, the delightfully named Kim Kimble: "It's a statement that, 'I'm young, I'm beautiful and I can do it all.'" Coo-ee! Leaving the magical properties or otherwise of Beyoncé's hair aside, all in all, I approve of this development. Generally, I'm a bit wary of a pixie cut because it can make a lady look, "Ooh, I'm a bit Audrey Hepburn, me, giggle giggle." But Beyoncé's cut, like Charlize Theron's not dissimilar one, is, to borrow a word from another fan of the pixie, Victoria Beckham, fierce. It's cooler and tougher than Anne Hathaway and Carey Mulligan's cuts, which is as it should be, as Beyoncé looks as if she could easily have Hathaway and Mulligan in a fight in about two seconds flat. Beyoncé's tough, but Moss looks like a proper scrapper.) Apologies for coming across a bit John Frieda here but, while Beyoncé was always clearly one of the most beautiful women on God's green earth, this cut emphasises the beauty of her eyes in particular, and the elegance of her cheekbones. There was always a large part of me that was sort of hoping Beyoncé would one day go natural and rock an afro, as her sister Solange does to fabulous effect, but this short cut is, I guess, a nice alternative. I like to fancy that Beyoncé decided to hack off all her hair after her long locks got caught in a giant fan at a recent performance, during which, it must be noted, again proving Beyoncé's supernatural skillz, she didn't even stop singing as bodyguards attempted to rescue her holy hair from the devilish blades. Amazing, right?) Beyoncé is now 32, and I am a big advocate of women changing hairstyles when they reach their 30s. It's a glorious improvement.